Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Early Medieval Huts

This was a project that i started about 7 years ago when i got into tabletop gaming.
As you can see, I did not get very far. I wanted to make buildings out of popsicle sticks.
Poor Jonas Murdoch would have a tight fit to use the commode. I must have made them 1:72 scale.
The main building door is a little larger. In the old days, doors were made so you had to crouch down and squeeze through. It was not only to keep the heat in but so that the people inside can cut down any enemy that came through.
The animal paddock door is a little larger. I liked the benches/shelves I made.
So in starting this project, i originally just took plain popsicle sicks, available at any dollar or craft store.
I then chopped them up with an exacto knife. Placing the different sizes in different bags works well in making the task easier. It also lets you know if you are getting low in a particular size of wood.
I finished the roof.
I also boarded up the open area under the roof. Mike Holmes wouldn't approve but this is just for tabletop miniatures.
I then used MINWAX Polyshades 'Mission Oak Satin' to stain the whole thing. Do this outside as it is very smelly.
Because of the craft glue that i used, some areas didn't take the stain well. Its alright as I'm just going to cover those areas up.
I took some rough yarn-like material that i got at a yard sale...
...then i cut it and un-twirled it into three smaller strands.
Then i built up a pile in preparation for doing the roof.
Gluing it in layers, with craft glue, it makes a thatch-like roof.
I may add some doo-dads to the buildings to make them look more lived in or just burn a corner of it down to make it look like a ruin. I haven't decided yet.
There is a method of thatch roof that uses layers of cut up facecloth strips that i'd like to try.
Until then it will do as quick and fun early medieval terrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark

Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark is a miniature agnostic skirmish ruleset that can be used for any small scale miniatures. The setting is near t...

Popular Posts